Eternal Flame Project
In Your Home
In Your Business
In Heavy Industries
Queensland Fire & Emergency Services – Live Fire Training
Eternal Flame Restoration Project – ANZAC Square Brisbane
- Natural gas was formed deep under the earth about 100 million years ago.
- In 200 B.C., people in China used natural gas to make salt.
- LPG expands about 270 times in volume when it goes from liquid to gas. So, 1L of liquid LPG equals 270L of gaseous LPG. As there are 1000L in a cubic meter (M³), 1L of liquid LPG expands to 0.27M³.
- Natural gas is colourless and odourless. Mercaptan (that smells like rotten eggs) is added to the gas to help make gas leaks easier to notice.
- Unlike water, one kilogram of LPG does NOT equal one litre of LPG. This is because the density or specific gravity of LPG is less than water. In Australia, where LPG is propane, 1KG of LPG has a volume of 1.96L. Conversely, 1L of LPG weighs 0.51KG.
- Megajoules per Hour (MJ/hr) ratings on appliances actually indicate the gas consumption of the appliance, not the output. It is often expressed as just MJ or Mj.
- When natural gas is cooled to 260 degrees below zero, it changes from a gas into a liquid.